Wednesday, July 09, 2008

On awareness of self and others

Otherwise known as compassion.
To be compassionate, you have to feel strongly about something (passion), and feel it coming from another (the suffix co-). Compassion, our word of the day.

Last Saturday, I held my alcohol. Back in the day, I used to get pushed by my friends to drink. A lot. And I oblige. Peer pressure, much? It felt like I had to prove something, so I just go with the flow, to the point of... well, bad things happen. But last Saturady... well, I didn't feel the need to prove myself. Why prove myself? Just go out there and have a great time. You (or at least, I) don't need a lot of alcohol to have fun, don't you agree? (no, don't answer that)

Today, I learned a valuable lesson. It's not enough to be aware only of my own back. I should also be aware of other people's backs. They might not directly affect me (or they might), but they are people. Who affect other people. And if I don't know what's going on, how am I to act on the situation? And now that I'm older (and wiser?), I should be in the position to watch out for more backs. Because, in the end, everyone affects everyone else.

No comments: