Saturday, September 23, 2006

Chapter 6: Respite

Quote/Question/Theory of the day:
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

Hi - Basket!
Lo - supressing emo-ness XD

One of the parts I hate in an RPG is when you have a huge gap between save points. Not that you have to finish a gauntlet of bosses just to be able to save your game (that's another story). It's either a) the physical distance between saves is really huge, like in the 1st part of FF3, b) you have to do a whole lot of tasks just to reach the next save, like... somewhere in FF10 where you need to solve some puzzles involving conveyorbelts and stones or c) there's a whole lot of FMVs in between, like in the start of Valkeryie Profile (now THAT's a real long starting sequence). I hate those since they give little or no space to rest. Sure you can pause the game, but only for so long. You have to force yourself to push on and play, no matter how tired or bored you are. If you get killed, or if something bad happens, you'd be force to start all over again. But, once you reach that oh-so-lovely save point, all the stress get relieved. You now have the luxury to rest, be refreshed, and remove the jaded-ness that playing has given you. Sooner or later, you're bound to pick up the controller and get on with it.

One of the things I also hate is when I don't get any time to rest. Not that it's hell week (that's another story), it's just that there's so much things to do, and stuff going on. Never-ending schoolwork, group works, projects and the usual study load. Add the social life factor in, and you have a very busy guy. With so much going on, I'm surprised that I soldier on, and just keep going. Well, if I gave up then I'd be dead, figuratively or literally. When you give up now, it's game over, and you'd have to start all over again... if you'd still be given a chance. And hey, once you get everything overwith, and you get some breathing space, enjoy it, cherish it, maximize it. Rest, get refreshed, get everything in order, cause whether you like it or not, life's gonna pick you up and nudge you to get on with it.

Who am I to resist a little R&R? I need it. But I won't overdo it. You think I'd stop living this amazing game called life?

No comments: